Friday, July 13, 2012

tradigital


Last week I posted a video on the upsides and downsides to digital and traditional art.  This week I spent a little bit of time on an experiment, It was to blend watercolors and digital.  I really love Watercolor and the beautiful water marks and spontaneous things that happen, but I can control digital “paint” better and get more detail, and better values digitally (plus when I mess up I don’t have to redo the entire painting.)  So I am trying to blend the two so I can have the best of both worlds. 








This is a detail from one of my BFA pieces, the first is the original the second I have worked on digitally.  I wish I had more time to play around with this technique but I like the look enough to continue to experiment with the watercolors and digital art

3 comments:

  1. The digital version does look more "clean" and the colors are deeper. But I love the roughness and texture and personality of the watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard of Justin Gerard? He does lots of tradigital pieces that are AMAZING!!! He's done a Hobbit series of pieces and he's working on a series of Silmarillion pieces now. His goal was to do the Sil. pieces purely traditional(he works the traditional side of his process in watercolor), but his most recent piece he went for the digital to really get what he wanted all along. He has some really good process posts too. This is his personal blog http://quickhidehere.blogspot.com/ and he is also a contributor to the Muddy Colors blog. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shara

      Thanks so much for the link, Justin Gerard's work is actually what made me realize that the whole water color/digital thing could work, he does really beautiful art.

      Delete